Designing a website from scratch
When we were first inaugurated to the internet, the IT wing managed and built most of the websites due to the twist of the programming. Currently, website design has advanced to an industry all on its own.
Good web designs have resulted in some company’s accelerated growth and prosperity, whilst bad ones have lead to the collapse of some. That said, most people think that for one to design a great website, you need to have state-of-the-art tools. This is maybe unrealistic for many freelance web designers out there. One needs to comprehend a thing or two about web development. For instance, think of web programming like car selling; yes, it may have one of the most incredible engines; however, if its framework is hidden, buyers only get to use them regardless. Present designers need more than nice image placement. They focus on content placement, load speed and SEO optimization. Moreover, they consider how web engineering will appear on multiple screens. Here are eight basic steps to create a new website or repair an existing one.
How To Design A Website
- Set your objective
- Select your website builder
- Define your layout
- Get your content together
- Add the right pages
- Draft your web design elements
- Assemble the professional tools you need
- Make it reachable to everyone
- Optimise for mobile
- Reinforce your SEO
- Engross with visitors
- Ask for feedbacks
- Publish and post
- Important factors to consider when designing a website
Set your objective
Before you develop a website, be clear about what you want to attain. With several websites currently, begin by deciding which kind of design will help you meet your goals:
- An online store to enhance the selling of your products
- A portfolio web design to display your art
- A business web engineering to manage the progress of your business
- A resume website to capture the attention of the potential employers
- A blog to share your ideas with the rest of the world
- A photography site to showcase and sell prints
- An event web design for wedding, company events and parties
Once you made up your mind on the type you require, it’s time to commence the exciting part-planning your site. As you get started, keep your overall purpose in mind and ponder about how the design will lead to the achievement of your objectives.
As you proceed with the website blueprint, you’ll realize that your choice of elements to include will vary based on whatever you want to accomplish. For instance, if your objective is selling photos online, showcase your work on the internet in a portfolio format and involve an online store where you can do sell printing.
Select your website builder
Now that your objective is well identified, your next task is choosing the right website builder to execute it. CMS, also referred to as website builder, is a forum where you can design, publish and personalize web engineering without any idea of coding.
Currently, there’re several platforms available in the market. Not certain which one to use? Wix.com was the top rank out of the best website designers worldwide. Here are a few pros of Wix.com.
- Various pricing models – generating, publishing and hosting your web is free as long as you wish. In case you want to improve your presence online with some tailored characteristics, there is the availability of premium packages. They’ve all you need to be successful online, from professional layout and web development features to customize your domain name.
- Design personalization – whether you’re a seasonal website developer or a web designer trainee, you’ll discover that Wix gives different innovative routes for everyone. Every element of your web is capable of being customized for the look you want. Besides, its plenty of tools and in-built features increases its professional presence.
Starters can also enjoy using ADI (Artificial Design Intelligence), the fastest platform that provides websites for you. It’s a great solution for building a website quickly-after answering a few queries; you’ll receive a website that you can customize afterwards. With this, you’re sure to get the best results that will perfectly suit your brand.
- Professional solutions – the website being the hub of your online life, Wix puts every professional solution you require. Tools such as email marketing, invoices, social media accounts and many others can be incorporated into your website design for the best experience and managing your business and site. Moreover, you’ll be able to optimize your site with SEO to raise your probability of getting found on Google.
- Unique design characteristics – the design features are heightened. This implies that you can develop your website the way you want. Just from the imagery to creative characteristics such as explicit videos, you’ll have many options to begin with, and you can upload files of your choice.
- Customer service – you aren’t alone in the journey of study how to design a web. If you need help, you’ll always have someone to converse with. Besides, if you’re researching web development, you’ll get plenty of useful materials online. To advance your ideas on web design and online marketing, take a keen look at the Wix blog page and help centre.
Are you ready to design a web? Here are the tips:
- Visit Wix.com or WordPress from your laptop or mobile.
- Insert your mail address and select a password. You now own an account, and you can make as many websites as you wish.
- View the various templates of the website, choose the one that is best suits your needs and begin customizing it with your tools and quality of your choice.
Define your layout
The moment you log into the platform of your choice, it’s time to think about the web layout. If you’re beginning from scratch, map out your website development ideas on papers before dragging and dropping. Additionally, you can also use templates, which is a pre-designed structure generated by experienced designers.
These sites provide a substantial library of free websites templates. You’ll get every kind of designs you admire to have, whether you’re searching for a blog, creating a business or personal web. Begin by browsing through the options given until you get a web design that you’ll love. Proceed and make it fully yours by customizing all its details and removing, changing certain things like images and colour.
Out of these designs, pick between a multi-page guide and a single page one. If your web design includes hefty content, you’re likely to go for a multi-page. But if it has less content to showcase, then you should go for a one-page template. This trendy option is a common choice for event websites, landing pages and other sites that have short-form content.
Pro tip – There’re no better ways of getting your web content flowing than searching for innovative inspiration. A good way to get started is by looking at several examples that suit your brand. Take a pen and a paper and jot down ideas you prefer as you browse some of the best website designs.
4. Start your domain name
To put it in layman language, your domain name is your address on the internet. This is what your web visitors will see in the bar browser just after the www. Registering your realm name is essential for online success. web design with a customized domain are believed by most internet users to be trustworthy and more professional. When selected wisely, the domain name will help you comprehend what your website is all about. This is significant because it helps you bring more traffic to your site.
However, how do you pick a domain name for your brand? To make it catchy, keep it:
- Simple: Do away with symbols, numbers and special features.
- Short: Longer domain names are likely to be misspelt by the visitors.
- Professional: Include your business name, your name in the domain to avoid confusion.
- Suggestive: You may hint about what you do in the domain name by incorporating words related to your business.
You may realize that your dream realm name is available with the help of this domain registration tool. Suppose your top choice still up for grabs; get you a piece of virtual property. If it’s not, don’t worry. Try different variations of your initial choices by adding “the” at the beginning.
Pro tip: having a domain name also implies using the right extension. Its best practice is to use one that is related to your type of business and geographical location.
Get your content together
Now that you’ve set a foundation for your design, it’s time to practically prepare the content that will be found on your website. These may include logo, videos and images or even more. Make use of your materials to ensure that you’re offering your clients something unique. In case you’re using original content, ensure to acquire your resources legally. Wix comes with a variation of features, including a library of a million and above free photos and some interactive videos exclusive to Wix. Besides, there’re endless image reservoirs for you to check out.
Of course, having several materials on your website is great, don’t forget to always put quality over quantity. In this era of technological advancement, the best way to attract your client’s attention is by displaying only your best content. Ensure your content is fully branded. Take your website as an online persona- everything beginning from the written content to colours and fonts reflects what your brand entails.
Pro tip: Are you new to this marketing game or feel like improving your brand language? From generating a logo to defining your tonal voice, this guide has all you need to be versed with about building the best brand identity.
Add the right pages
Every business is unique in its ways, and so is every web design. Therefore, there’re some traditional sections that your web visitors will expect to see. Suppose you choose a multi-page site; the following are must-have pages:
- Homepage: You only have one chance to make a perfect first impression, and this is your homepage. Being the first thing your web visitors will see, go for a clean homepage design, eye attractive and organized. Make it clear who you’re and what you do. Nevertheless, ensure it contains the essential information like your logo, navigation menu and the business name inviting your clients to browse further. The moment you have got these basics noted down, put in mind what sort of website background, written content, imagery, and calls for action to engage with your visitors.
- About us page: Narrate your story, and share the techniques and any other relevant information that your brand entails. Hail your new website visitors using the first person because it adds a friendly touch of friendliness and warmth. Besides, don’t forget your picture or that o your team members. Customers always like to see the face behind a business idea.
- Contact page: When clients want to reach out, they should be able to do so easily—this where the content page comes in. Ensure to include your phone number, email address, postal codes and any other social media accounts. Moreover, add a live chat widget that will allow visitors to get the quickest response or a contact form for them to write their message directly to your site.
- Your product or service page: This where your website clients realize the products you offer and if they’re convinced to make a purchase. When designing a web with service and product in mind, consider some of these key recommendations: Be clear about your condition on shipping, return and cancellation procedures. Write an enticing description of your service and product. Give a high-quality product photograph.
- A blog: Generating a blog boosts your brand reputation as an expert, helps you foster customer loyalty, and it’s the best way to create traffic to your website. In case you’re not a natural-born writer, don’t be worried- you got much more to say thank think. You can talk about your client’s stories of success, their care studies and interviews. Besides, you may also talk about yourself on the events you take part in, new employees and others. Your web visitors will love to know the tips you employ, the technique you use to solve the problems you encounter and will appreciate the added value.
- Testimonials: Truly, a sincere testimonial page is an essential effective addition to your website engineering. Studies indicate that 77% of satisfied clients will recommend your business to another person after experiencing a positive service. If the goal of your website is to win more new customers, employ the power of word of mouth and allow your contented customers do the cross-selling for you.
- Splash page: This represents a preview of your site, saluting your visitors before they reach your page. Nevertheless, it is a great method of engaging your visitors using high-quality visuals or enticing texts or event.
- FAQ page: It is a dedicated page on your website that gives your clients a quick and simple response to certain common questions in a well organized and structured manner. It saves time by giving automated answers and provides a wow experience to the users.
Draft your web design elements
Now that you’ve your content ready, the domain name is also ready, and the website page is available, it’s time to define the elements of the website. In this section, explain every detail that will bring your web design together and how to organize them together to realize one cohesive design. In the long run, these decisions should be determined by your brand identity-the unmistakable appearance and the voice you chose to use when communicating to your audience. Additionally, maintain usability in mind. Your web design should always enhance easy navigation and try as much as possible to give visitors a great experience.
The following are some elements to emphasize when learning how to create a website:
- web design architecture: For you to provide the best website for your clients, ensure a proper connection of your pages to one another. Always ensure visitors can quickly find the pages they need by adding a navigation menu and executing internal links.
- Menu: this is the centre of your design, and it should showcase the different items characterized on your site, making that visitors can easily access what they need from one page to another. web design menus vary from standard horizontal menu to the condensed hamburger menu. Despite the style you chose, it’s advisable to make it accessible on every page of your website and minimize the number of items to prevent pack on your screen.
- Colour: The psychology of colours proves that distinct hues have different results on human behaviour. This makes it such an essential aspect of web design. When coming up with your website colour scheme, it important to limit yourself to three shades: the primary colour (60% of the mix), secondary colour (30%) and the accent colour (10%). If you’ve solidified your brand for yourself or your business, of course, this should be included.
- Fronts: when selecting the best fronts for your web, pick the legible ones. With the vast world topography, use a maximum of three fonts to evade visual chaos.
- Head and footer: Of course, your website header and footer are found at the top and bottom, respectively. Both can be used on your web to enhance usability and engagement. A web header is a nice place to include features of your choice to discover immediately, such as your logo or navigation menu. While the web footer won’t be seen immediately, it is important in several ways. For example, it’s a great place to add your contact information or email address.
- Motion: This refers to the non-static elements of your website, which can be readily available when trying to lure the eye of your clients. It comes in several shapes, size and locations in your web design. As if this not enough, animations will also spruce your website. However, use them moderately.
- Scroll impacts: Just like the name suggests, scroll appears when your visitors scroll up and down your site. Their experience can attract the attention of your clients and also help to give a smooth transition between the distinct layers of a web page. Among such cases is parallax scrolling. These 3D professional results can add a sense of the flow of your page. This, with other scroll impacts, can be accomplished using the editor.
- Favicon: A favicon is a minute icon that will be used in a web browser to represent your website. Take a few minutes and examine this tab in your browser; you’ll see a small logo in the left-hand corner. Despite its small size, a favicon is an important tool for it helps users to locate your site when many tabs are opened. It also enhances your web branding by presenting your logo in an extra location. Besides, its sharp look adds a great measure of professionalism to your web development.
- Whitespace: This is an area on your website that does not include anything. Are you worried about these empty spaces? Don’t be. It’s not only trendy to increase the number of white spaces in your site; the spaces provide your users with a room to “breath” between images and pieces of content, enhancing a much better user experience.
Assemble the professional tools you need
Nowadays, the internet is the most important marketplaces worldwide. Studies show that in 2021, about 2.14 billion people are likely to purchase goods and services online. For professional and creative-minded web design, adding the following tools to your website will enhance efficient and secure transactions. To help you design your site further, Wix fringes many bespoke solutions to enable business across all sizes and industries to interact for effective interaction with clients. Involving these features will not only a great appearance but also operate seamlessly:
- Online stores: Do you want to sell your goods on the internet and generate a continuous stream of income? An online store is a way to achieve this. From tracing your orders to making use of online payments, o earn revenue easily; you’ll accomplish this from one dedicated place.
- Social posts: Heighten your brand awareness and raise traffic to your site through creating eye-capturing social media graphics and splitting posts on your social media handles such as Facebook and Instagram.
- Music: there is an excellent music platforms platform for musicians who want to expand their audience while maintaining total innovative freedom. Such platforms as Spotify makes you sell your music directly from your website and enables profits.
- Videomaker: Are you aware that videos can improve organic search income to your web design by 157%? With the help of a video maker, you can intensify your web with customized videos to grab with your audience and increase your traffic. These are essential for promoting your products and services, distribute exciting updates.
- Owner app: The owner app enables you to operate your website from anywhere you’re. You can even have a mobile space for your frequent followers to join.
- Scheduling software: If you’re operating a service business, your site has to be able to receive reservations and payments 24/7. It incorporates the most civilized options available on the market, from allowing clients to book rendezvous to the ability to regulate your staff calendars.
- Expert: The app market involves a huge selection of apps to reinforce your web business potential. From mere chat to payment, pop-ups to advertising on Google, indeed, there’s a tool for every aspect of your business.
Make it reachable to everyone
Currently, a good website design should be reachable to everyone. Easy accessibility of your website ensures that person regardless of their capability, can comfortably experience and interact with your site easily. This includes people with disabilities such as vision impairment, temporary injuries, hearing problems and more. With about one billion people living with a different form of some disabilities, considering everyone’s need is essential. It also implies that and your business value the aspect of inclusivity and diversity.
There’re different ways of improving your user experience on your site for everyone. Ensure a hierarchal layout of your website using creative headers to define the various levels of information. Additionally, make sure that your site uses a keyboard, write all alt text for imageries, and use heading tags.
Optimise for mobile
Small screens do not equate to a small outcome. With great development in the usage of Smartphone and tablets, it’s important to ensure a coherent browsing experience in all devices by maximizing your phone web design. When generating a web with Wix, a mobile version of your site is automatically created with the mobile editor. This implies that you won’t have a challenge about building a new structure from nowhere. However, it’s upon you to ensure that you’re streamlining your content o fit small pieces of real estate.
Firstly, on your phone web design, preserve only the relevant elements on the page do away with whatever isn’t important. In addition to this, minimize the space between the fold by placing the most necessary bits of information there. Ideally, this is what your clients will see first, so ensure it’s engaging and informative.
Reinforce your SEO
Just after designing a website, nothing is more fulfilling than watching the number of visitors increase. Among the ways of raising the amount of traffic on your web is by improving your SEO (search engine optimization). SEO needs time, persistence, and patience to realize effects, but you can always design them as your website. Follow these SEO tips and apply them to your content to improve your chances of top-ranking results:
- Carry out keyword research: This research will help you find keywords that are crucial for your site. The moment you have them, select one main keyword and some secondary ones. Strategically place your keywords in locations across your site.
- Include on-page SEO: This is all about informing search engines of what your pages entail. On every page, your website builder will ask you to key in meta-data. This includes the SEO title, the URL and description. Even though your customers may not notice these elements, they’re crucial when it comes to positioning.
- The addition of alt text: Alt texts are descriptions you assign to your pictures. They’re usually not visible to your clients, but they reveal a strong indication to Google as to what media is all about. Google may be knowledgeable, but it can’t view photos or GIFs. Besides, the text also helps your visual information appear on Google results pages. Also, writing SEO friendly alt text for your image is a critical practice in improving your web accessibility.
- Internal linking boost: Boosting your internal linkage will ultimately ease Google bots to steer through and recognize your website. The addition of more links to your page also encourages your clients to discover more pages.
Engross with visitors
Nowadays, visitors expect to engage with you on your website and even beyond. Involve the following features when designing the web will keep your audience posted and connected. Linking with your customers on multiple channels is a great way of building a relationship with your visitors, and this will bring more eyes to your web design.
- Live chat: The addition of a live chat widget on your web brings a big difference in your visitors to your client’s ability to socialize with you. Whether it’s to provide first-hand customer services, this small window at the bottom of your user screen is a friendly addition.
- Newsletter: email marketing is an essential way of maintaining a connection with your customers. You can use email newsletters to inform your visitors about the latest products on your online store, celebrate your accomplishments, and promote your new blog articles. Make invites to your website users to subscribe to your newsletter by adding a lightbox o your website.
- Forms: One powerful technique of creating an everlasting relationship with your web users is to ask for feedback. Coming up with an online form for your customers ensures that they have a safe place to air their thoughts about customer support, products and services, and website.
Ask for feedbacks
At this juncture, you may be informed on how to design a website on your own, but there’s still room for improvement. Sometimes being non-partisan is difficult, especially when it comes to your innovations. This is why creating a website requires asking for sincere feedback from trustworthy individuals. Take their critiques positively and always keep in that you’re not like what you hear. For a flawless outcome, request a friend to double-check the following elements properly:
Are the pages easy to sail through? If it takes a long time to a page on your website, it implies that you may need to restructure the layout of the design or improve the visibility of your web menu.
- Is the text accurate? Wrong spellings may ruin the professional reputation that you’ve worked tirelessly to achieve.
- Are all the links working? Click on each link to ensure that none of them goes back to a 404 page (this insinuates that the pages don’t exist anymore).
- Is your web design boosted for mobile? Research indicates that over 50% of people browse using mobile devices. Am pretty sure you don’t want to leave half o the world’s population thwarted.
Publish and post
Having your website is a necessity this year. However, possessing an up-to-date website is what makes a difference. A site that appears like it has been dormant is unreliable. Ensure you stay alert and posted for an effective update of your content. As you acquire skills and knowledge on how to create an evolving website, you’ll need to know how to keep your site posted. Always, there’s room for improvement, and you want to ensure that you keep your website updated.
Important factors to consider when designing a website
Now, it is sometimes more so crucial to have a successful online presence than having a successful offline one. In case someone is not interested in your web, that is similar to a client walking in your store, yelling out and then walks out and plans never to come back again. Off let, it’s safe to say that website design is a vital part of trading nowadays. Just a small mistake can destroy the experience of your clients, which will result in costing you a considerable amount of money.
The speed of your web design can either lead to the growth or failure of your company. Despite the insane technology involved in linking people to various pages in the world, if the page does not load within five seconds, users will be mad at you. There’s alike hood of a number of them exiting your page, causing you to incur losses.
The essential aspects of a web design are making the site usable for a particular number of users. The majority of customer who visits your webpage is may not be professional HTML coders, so they need more simplified things.
Most users are choosy. Despite your webpage functioning as it is needed, easily accessible, works at high speed, they won’t be contented unless you have got compelling and enticing content. The marketing of content plays a vital role in any company’s advertisement. People value video content as compared to a written one. This is the reason why content videos views exceed 50 billion views monthly.
- Contact information
Nothing annoys customers as not being able to reach out to a business when they want to. Ensure that on every page of your site, your visitors can easily find your company’s contact details.
About 48% of web users admit that if they visit a company’s webpage whose contacts does not exist, they take it that the company cares little about them. Just like your company should be online, your webpage should function similarly on your mobile devices. Contact NRB web designs today n case you require a professional website company.
- Website maintenance
Every page on your web design should work efficiently of the time. In case of any issue, you have to ensure good system implantation to make sure that the problem is addressed within 24 hours.
The appearance of your webpage is as important as its functionality. You only have 10 seconds to make fancy on a visitor and let them comprehend what they will get by visiting your page. If they aren’t convinced, they’ll leave. Avoid overdoing it with colours schemes and images as it was in the early 90s; just create simple and sharp looking web pages.
The keep it simple principle should be the primary objective of all web designs. Rarely are users on the site enjoying the design. Furthermore, they’re searching for the information, not the design. Go for simplicity, not complexity.
Effects of web designs
Unlike still images, cinema graphs add movement to the website and influences user interaction. For instance, cinemagraphs in adobe’s digital marketing study add visual interests to educational and informational content.
- Large bold typography
This immediately attracts the user’s attention and enhances core messaging. For example, in the movie ‘Killing a Sacred Deer,’ the website balances the design impacts. Are you troubled with your site design? Request free marketing and below to power your site. Once you get the web design to the level you wish, learn how to raise your traffic with inbound marketing for an eCommerce guide.
- SVG animation
Most designers use icons to help visitors visually understand the information. The example from Acer Exhibits, a web design generated by Groove, advances this concept to the next level by involving SVG hover animations. This animation gives users an unexpected interactive experience.
- Background fade
Most eCommerce webs use background fades in their standard quick functions. But Nest includes a background video that transmits into fade effects. This makes users concentrate on specific contents and establish a wonderful lifestyle.
This, too, adds motion to the web design and can help to imply depth on flat designs. This impact elevates the web aesthetic and enhances its content.
As technology advances, it enables us to accomplish more and more tasks without even realizing how complex they are. Acquiring knowledge on how to create a website on your own is one of these. By use of professional website design features, you can generate income, grow your brand online and nurture a community of fans. Following the discussion above, you now know what a web design is. You’ve got the right ideas needed to get you started. Beginning from selecting your website design and choosing your domain name to comprehend how to develop each element, this will walk you through the journey of how to define your website. A web designer’s job is never done. If you sit back and admire what you have done, you’ll be overtaken by others. I am not suggesting that you required to be making by-the-minute changes, but be on top of your site’s performance and bring in web design trending changes to take you a long way.